Day 1: Mother Nature Says, ‘Nah.’

It is a good thing I decided to wake up early. I was able to pick up a radar detector from my friend last night at 1130PM so I assumed it would take me a few minutes to wire in. What I failed to take into account was the fact that this particular radar was not the same as my previous one. My old one would go on automatically when I started the bike. This one needed to have the ‘ON’ button pressed.. regardless of if it is hardwired in.

My dad was an engineer. If I could not think of something to fix this I would bring much shame to my family.

15 minutes later, a coat hanger poking stick was created and I now had a working radar. So far, so good.

After a quick shower I headed into the garage to try loading all my gear for the first time. I’ll admit, there was a point where I thought one of my bags was not going to make it. I said to myself, “Cargo nets, they stretch really really far. If I can’t figure out somewhere for this to go I shouldn’t be going on a trip like this.” After that quick pep talk I found a place for it. The bike was complete. It just needed a rider to pilot its crazy looking self.

It certainly handles different with the weight and I don’t have room to move anywhere but honestly, it’s pretty crazy I was able to carry all of this on a motorcycle. I am pleased.

The first leg of the trip into Ohio went smoothly, except for getting used to poking the radar on. Mother Nature must have watched my video where I said, “I’m prepared for weather down to freezing and above 100.” Before you know it, I’m in full body shivers and I just kept pushing it until I made it to my next gas stop. Time to check the weather.

I was prepared for freezing temps.. in a non-moving situation. 85MPH on a motorcycle with no wind protection and it feels like 38 when you are standing still? I was not pleased.

There were a few situation throughout the day which I found myself reverting to old habits. There was a gentleman asking a million questions at this coffee place and I was getting impatient because my order was simple (coffee). I then reminded myself that there is zero rush to do anything in a timely fashion during this trip. I don’t want to be the guy giving dirty looks when I have no where to be. This happened a few times and the more I remind myself, the more it sinks in. I have all the time in the world.

Two hundred cold miles is a long time to keep yourself occupied. I questioned many things. I could complain about the shitty weather or I could look at it in a different light. Canada can’t be much colder than what I rode in today.. (I’m sure I jinxed myself). I talked to myself, I made up raps, I beat boxed, I hyped myself up, and while all that was happening I rolled into beautiful Pennsylvania. If my hands weren’t frozen I would have taken some videos. It always feels good to ride into those rolling hills.

I made it. Disheveled, but in one piece. A good first day if I say so myself.


  1. EddieCamaro May 24, 2013 at 9:38 pm Permalink

    Woot woot!

  2. MrCanadianAviator May 24, 2013 at 9:44 pm Permalink

    I live at the most northern part of Ontario by road and it was +25C (77F)

    1. cheddarchezz May 25, 2013 at 1:07 am Permalink

      You have upset me.

  3. GT650Schultz May 24, 2013 at 10:01 pm Permalink

    Go Chezz go! freaking looks Cold as hell

    1. cheddarchezz May 25, 2013 at 1:07 am Permalink

      I was frozen solid. But I overcame it. I’m ready for the rest of this journey.

Comments are closed.